Wednesday 26 February 2014

The truth about anti-depressants

It strikes me that there is actually quite a vast mythology surrounding anti-depressants. I am constantly seeing reports about their over-use in magazines, newspapers, the television and hearing reports on the radio (okay, so I was brought up listening to radio 4 and am now middle aged before my time...)  but I wanted to talk about it from the point of view of done one who does actually take the magical 'happy pills'.

What's super-important for me to point out is that I once, too, was an anti-d (sound a like a one direction hate club, but no) and for the vast part of my early journey into anorexia, I refused to have any form of medication. Although I managed to survive without it, upon reflection my behaviour patterns at the time were pretty extreme.

What's hard to grasp about depression is actually accepting that you have it in the first place. Ignorant at my self-destructive thoughts and frankly weird behaviour, I refused to accept that there was anything wrong with me other than being 'grumpy' as every other person experiences. So much so, that even when my self harming was discovered I still point blank denied that anything was wrong.

It took quite a lot to get me to finally give pill-popping a go. I was heading down a rocky path of sleeping all day and night, self harming, not talking to anybody for months on end and engaging in an extremely invariable eating pattern towards the end of my admission to a psychiatric ward, and was presented with the ultimatum of drugs or re-admittance as an inpatient- and, of course, that would probably have resulted in the former, so I chose that to begin with. I can tell you now of my vast scepticism over the benefits of my new tablets, packaged up neatly and laid out before me on the breakfast table the next morning. But over the following weeks, as my mood lifted, I began to rationalise and become able to think clearly for the first time in over three years, my opinion u-turned.

I am now a great advocate of anti-depressants. Should they be given out willy-nilly? Perhaps not. But be they as much a part of my life and daily routine as brushing my teeth. Just as insulin helps diabetes sufferers, anti-depressants merely slightly alter brain chemistry, allowing mentally ill patients to carry on with their daily lives just like any other drug.

So, before you shun or condemn anti-depressants, bear in mind their significance and the wonders that they work- I am amazed every day, although nowadays it's usually through my pill packet telling me the day of the week.


Posted via Blogaway

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I've just started following your blog :)

    For my two cents: I was first given antidepressants when I was 12, though they made me worse and resulted in my most serious suicide attempt to date. I swore off them until I was under a section aged 17/18, and didn't have a choice in taking them. Now I'm wouldn't dare stop them, and I've cycled through about five or six different meds since, still trying to find one that helps.

    I do think they can be an immensely helpful once you find the right one. They're not a cure-all, just like all other psych meds, and they shouldn't be handed out like candy, but alongside non-medicinal therapy I believe they at least give me the ability to function somewhat until I'm ready to learn the skills to live life unmedicated.

    Anyway, this was a really interesting post to read. I'm looking forward to reading more and getting to know you. Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there,

    I am on a cocktail of meds at the moment and just started Prozac last week
    I've read a lot about Prozac and how it can help people with eating disorders especially
    It's too soon to say yet whether it's helping or not
    But I do agree that tablets are handed out way too easily
    I was in hospital recently and the psychiatrists there were very free in handing out meds

    I do think that meds can be a vital part of treatment
    But they shouldn't be the first option

    Great post

    Take care x

    ReplyDelete