Tuesday 25 February 2014

Who am I?

After much internal debate, I have decided that I am one of many things. I am something different, yet something identical, depending on who you know me as, what I am feeling, what I am doing; a whole host of infinite variables spanning as far as to what the weather is doing.

Yet until now, I have been afraid to admit one side of myself to the big wide world. But here it is; my name is Becca, I am seventeen years old and I suffer from a mental illness.  Indeed, I have battles with anorexia nervosa and depression for more than five years now, and finally I believe that it is time to speak out. Spurred on by other people, media campaigns such as 'Time to Change', seeing just how prolific mental illness is everywhere around us, and my own  determination to recover from my eating disorder, I am going to keep a blog for the world to read, or not to read, at their own wish.

I am not longer going to hide behind my embarrassment or the stigma that cones with mental health problems. One in four of us will experience it at some point in our lives, and yet it still very much remains taboo. I may be mentally flawed, but I am also one in four. I may have a mental illness, but that mental illness does not define who I am.

1 comment:

  1. You sound so strong and brave! It has been so hard for me to also accept this. Keep it up girl!

    ReplyDelete